GIS Technician / Analyst
Raleigh or Charlotte, NC
Location: Raleigh or Charlotte, North Carolina
Theorem Geo Associates is currently seeking a full-time GIS Technician/Analyst that will provide GIS support to a large investor owned utility (IOU), with the work to be performed in either Raleigh or Charlotte, North Carolina areas.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
The primary responsibilities of the position may include, but is not limited to, the following processes within a GIS environment:
- Perform data collection, editing, mapping, and managing an accurate record of utility transmission and road right-of-way (ROW) siting which can coincide with land planning and development.
- Read, understand, and interpret complex design drawings, property plats, maps, and other related information as necessary to post data in company GIS system.
- Use and maintain departmental tools and equipment including but not limited to handheld GPS devices.
- Manipulate data for entry into company GIS system from CAD or like system.
- Compile information from a variety of sources, make complex maps for environmental studies, engineering, planning and other disciplines and purposes.
- Assembles and formats complex and non-standard reports from company GIS system for electric and/or landbase-related tasks.
- Generate and maintain GIS-generated operations maps.
- Geospatially support team in a suite of mapping products used by multiple organizations
- Manage specific GIS information layers
- Transfer collected data onto GIS system/server using applicable software.
- Perform data entry and mapping tasks utilizing GIS technologies.
- Support staff regarding capabilities to meet GIS management needs.
- Correct QA/QC errors.
- Digitizing and georeferencing data to aid in the location, placement, and creation of features
- Creating and editing features and associated attributes
- The examination of legal documents associated with each ROW to determine the correct locations and attributes for each feature
- Making corrections to previously mapped ROW
Education and Experience:
Bachelor’s degree in Geography, GIS, Environmental Sciences, or related field preferred
- Minimum Associates degree in Geography, GIS, Environmental Sciences, or related field
- Exceptions on education can be made for exceptional candidates
- Minimum of three years of work experience in GIS with progressively responsible experience in the design and development of GIS systems and applications.
- Must have proficient experience working with ESRI Suite (including ArcGIS Desktop, ArcMap, ArcServer, ArcGIS Online)
Additional Skills and Abilities:
- Experience with MS Office Suite
- Experience with CAD/AutoCAD a strong plus
- Computerized mapping and digital data conversion, manipulation and analysis
- GIS database administration and management principles, methods and techniques, including quality control methods and practices
- Cadastral mapping experience a plus
- Property surveying experience a plus
- Prior experience with some type of utility network, distribution and/or transmission program, a plus.
- Ability to communicate effectively, both verbal and written, with the skill to effectively interface with both internal and external customers.
- Demonstrated ability to train and develop personnel on the use of GIS programs, processes, and procedures.
- Demonstrated organizational and time management skills
- Demonstrated ability to organize multiple projects and be self-led
- Ability to work both efficiently independently and cooperatively in a team environment
- Excellent problem-solving skills
- Proficiency with data management, organization, a willingness to learn, and ability to ask questions to obtain desired results if unclear of the task at hand.
- Valid state driver’s license in good standing
Theorem Geo Associates (TGA) is a multi-disciplined company, that specializes in proprietary software development, shoreline management, storm response, predictive outage modeling, meteorological impact analysis, vegetation management transmission & distribution, unmanned aerial systems (drones).
Serving the utility industry for over a decade, TGA deploys proprietary software development and databases to solve challenging problems for businesses, utilities and governments. TGA’s data-driven analytics help industry automate and streamline regulatory compliance, operations monitoring, emergency response & other business challenges.