GIS Technician / Analyst
Location: Plainfield, Indiana
Theorem Geo Associates is currently seeking a full-time GIS Technician/Analyst that will provide GIS support to a large investor owned utility (IOU) in the Indianapolis, Indiana area.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
The primary responsibilities of the position may include, but is not limited to, the following processes within a GIS environment:
- Perform data collection, editing, mapping, and maintaining an accurate record of real estate and transmission easements
- Digitize and georeference data to aid in the location, placement, and creation of features
- Create and edit features and the associated attributes
- Examination of legal documents associated with easements to determine the correct locations and attributes for each feature
- Make corrections to previously mapped easements
- Ability to bring CAD drawings into ArcMap
- Ability to do coordinate geometry (COGO) in ArcMap
- Research and data processing, to include verifying, organizing, and the preparation of geospatial and asset data.
- Manage, create, and upload specific GIS information and attribute layers
- Transfer collected data onto GIS system/server using applicable software.
- Perform data entry and mapping tasks utilizing GIS technologies.
- Support staff regarding capabilities to meet GIS management needs.
- Provide quality control by ensuring data is filed into proper classification parameters
- Be responsible managing, administering, and coordinating various GIS related tasks, workflows, and processes.
- Duties can include, troubleshooting software issues, assisting in the creation of efficient workflows, bringing efficiencies to less efficient existing workflows, as well as maintaining a working knowledge of the latest GIS trends, workflows, and software through research, future education, and conference attendance.
Education and Experience:
Bachelor’s degree in Geography, GIS, Environmental Sciences, or related field preferred
- Minimum Associates degree in Geography, GIS, Environmental Sciences, or related field
- Exceptions on education can be made for exceptional candidates
- Minimum of two years of work experience in GIS with progressively responsible experience in the design and development of GIS systems and applications.
- Must have proficient experience working with ESRI Suite (including ArcGIS Desktop, ArcMap, ArcServer, ArcGIS Online)
- Must have working knowledge of mapping concepts and principles and methods of cartography practices in a GIS environment
Additional Skills and Abilities:
- Experience with MS Office Suite
- Experience with CAD/AutoCAD a strong plus
- Computerized mapping and digital data conversion, manipulation and analysis
- GIS database administration and management principles, methods and techniques, including quality control methods and practices
- Cadastral mapping experience a plus
- Property surveying experience a plus
- Prior experience with some type of utility network, distribution and/or transmission program, a plus.
- Ability to communicate effectively, both verbal and written, with the skill to effectively interface with both internal and external customers.
- Demonstrated ability to train and develop personnel on the use of GIS programs, processes, and procedures.
- Demonstrated organizational and time management skills
- Demonstrated ability to organize multiple projects and be self-led
- Ability to work both efficiently independently and cooperatively in a team environment
- Excellent problem-solving skills
- Proficiency with data management, organization, a willingness to learn, and ability to ask questions to obtain desired results if unclear of the task at hand.
- Valid state driver’s license in good standing
Theorem Geo Associates (TGA) is a multi-disciplined company, that specializes in proprietary software development, shoreline management, storm response, predictive outage modeling, meteorological impact analysis, vegetation management transmission & distribution, unmanned aerial systems (drones).
Serving the utility industry for over a decade, TGA deploys proprietary software development and databases to solve challenging problems for businesses, utilities and governments. TGA’s data-driven analytics help industry automate and streamline regulatory compliance, operations monitoring, emergency response & other business challenges.